From prewritten proposals to selling ongoing services like conversion optimization and web maintenance, this robust course includes everything you need to build and manage a successful web design business.
This course is right for you if…
You want to start offering web design services for your clients but aren’t sure where to start.
You currently offer web design services but want to increase your prices and the quality of your work.
You want to expand into enterprise level sites ($100k+ budgets) but don’t know how.
Learn how to take the chaos out of website projects and maximize your profits.
01: The course teaches execution of four different website sizes (Large, Medium, Small, Micro).
02: Each website size is given a unique “Project Flow” document that breaks down its phases and deliverables.
03: Each site size is given a robust task checklist so you have a step-by-step plan for execution.
04: The “Project Flow” and checklist documents are tagged for lessons in the course syllabus.
05: The lessons teach exactly how to execute on each item and include delivery templates for client presentations.
06: Each website size is also given a proposal template and contract that match the project flows and checklists.
This course is a step-by-step blueprint to sell and execute web design projects.
As a bonus, you’ll also learn how to build amazing websites without code using EditorX!
And you’ll learn how to sell and execute ongoing web services including SEO, conversion optimization, and web maintenance.
All of that PLUS you’ll learn…
How to sell, scope, and price profitable website projects.
How to hire designers, developers, and manage web projects.
Website strategy, UX/UI design, information architecture, and more!
“If you’re in the business of web design, you have to check this course out. While writing this testimonial, I haven’t completed the entire course yet, and it has already given me a ton of golden nuggets for driving my web design business in the best possible structure I could ever imagine. I was in a deep crisis when Michael’s content on Instagram saved me from going broke. His first course helped me improve my agency game by introducing some fantastic structure around proposals and contracts, and now I have a solid team of 10 operating in India. And now this course here will change the direction of how I have operated so far while working on web design or UX design projects. It has already made me realize my mistakes which probably has cost me relationships, some flagship clients and lots of $$$. This course is going to change that for me. And if you’re in the same boat of operating a web design business like me, I am sure this will be a game-changer for you.” – Abhishek Dutta, Team Codesign
“I have been meaning to message you!! I bought your website boot camp course about a month ago. I’m not sure why that was the first course I decided to buy (instead of the freelancer course because I’M NOT EVEN A WEBSITE DESIGNER) but I had a potential website client and I wanted to look smarter. So I used your proposal template for a small website before I really even got into the course. And then I went backwards and realized that the client wasn’t a good fit. (AFTER they had accepted my proposal! 🤪). It was so freeing telling them it wasn’t a good fit. Two doctors contacted me a week later asking for help with their brand video content for a laser they’ve invented (they are healing TBIs and Autism… amazing stuff.) they each have 55K followers. My account has been abandoned so I know I have to send over the perfect proposal! I once again used your bad ass proposal template but modified it to make sense with brand and video strategy… and guess what!?! I LANDED A $15k/MONTH CLIENT— for a year minimum. They said they were “blown away” by my proposal. And they didn’t try to cut any costs anywhere (like everyone has tried to do in the past). It’s incredible. You literally changed my life. So thank you from the bottom of my heart ♥️” – Vanessa Rankin, Organized Kaos Media
“Hi Michael ! I just wanna say I purchased & completed your web design course. That first month afterwards I made $5000 on my first ever client ! They love all the deliverables and how structured the entire process is for them. Couldn’t have done it without it! This feels like the stepping stone to my life changing forever! Extremely grateful, thank you!” – Johnny, Klutch Studio
Course Curriculum and Resources
Open the toggle boxes to examine every lesson and downloadable template included in the course.
Module 01 Video Lessons
- M01L01: Introduction and Course Overview (13:48)
- M01L02: Phased Production for Websites (6:44)
- M01L03: Project Organization Strategy (4:43)
- M01L04: Website Project Flow (17:49)
- M01L05: Website Project Tasks and Milestones (44:01)
Total Instruction Time: 1 hour 27 minutes
Module 01 Downloadable Resources
- M01L04: Large Website Project Flow (PDF)
- M01L04: Medium Website Project Flow (PDF)
- M01L04: Small Website Project Flow (PDF)
- M01L04: Micro Website Project Flow (PDF)
- M01L05: Large Website Project Tasks and Milestones (PDF)
- M01L05: Medium Website Project Tasks and Milestones (PDF)
- M01L05: Small Website Project Tasks and Milestones (PDF)
- M01L05: Micro Website Project Tasks and Milestones (PDF)
Total Downloadable Resources: 8
Module 02 Video Lessons
- M02L01: Selling Websites Process Overview (6:08)
- M02L02: Lead Generation and Finding Clients (29:15)
- M02L03: RFP Response (9:49)
- M02L04: Qualifying Opportunities (27:39)
- M02L05: Website Discovery Meeting (11:35)
- M02L06: Website Scope Workbook (35:34)
- M02L07: Pricing a Website Project (16:39)
- M02L08: Price Master Spreadsheet (16:49)
- M02L09: Proposal and Contract Overview (8:18)
- M02L10: Website Proposal Templates (55:51)
- M02L11: Website Contract Templates (30:25)
- M02L12: Addendums and Navigating Scope Changes (7:16)
Total Instruction Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
Module 02 Downloadable Resources
- M02L04: New Project Interview Agenda (PDF)
- M02L04: New Project Analysis Worksheet (PDF)
- M02L05: Website Discovery Meeting Agenda (PDF)
- M02L06: Website Scope Workbook (PDF)
- M02L08: Price Master Spreadsheet for Large, Medium, Small, and Micro Websites (XLS)
- M02L10: Large Budget Website Proposal Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M02L10: Medium Budget Website Proposal Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M02L10: Small Budget Website Proposal Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M02L10: Micro Budget Website Proposal Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M02L11: Large Budget Website SOW/Contract Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M02L11: Medium Budget Website SOW/Contract Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M02L11: Small Budget Website SOW/Contract Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M02L11: Micro Budget Website SOW/Contract Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M02L12: Addendum Agreement (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
Total Downloadable Resources: 14
Module 03 Video Lessons
- M03L01: Administrative Setup (17:47)
- M03L02: Production Handoff (9:47)
Total Instruction Time: 27 minutes
Module 03 Downloadable Resources
- M03L01: Invoice Example (PDF)
- M03L02: Production Handoff Agenda (PDF)
Total Downloadable Resources: 2
Module 04 Video Lessons
- M04L01: Website Strategy Workshop (18:28)
- M04L02: Website Strategy Documentation (25:47)
- M04L03: Persona Development (16:43)
- M04L04: Information Architecture Process (8:26)
- M04L05: Content Frameworks (Information Architecture) (21:54)
- M04L06: Site Mapping (Information Architecture) (11:09)
- M04L07: User Journey (17:57)
- M04L08: Website Technology Basics (29:59)
- M04L09: Technical Build Strategy (12:11)
Total Instruction Time: 2 hours 42 minutes
Module 04 Downloadable Resources
- M04L01: Website Strategy Workshop Agenda (PDF)
- M04L02: Website Strategy Document Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M04L02: Website Strategy Example (PDF)
- M04L03: Persona Development Workbook (PDF)
- M04L03: Persona Delivery Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M04L05: Content Framework Spreadsheet (XLS)
- M04L05: Content Framework Spreadsheet Example (XLS)
- M04L09: Technical Build Strategy Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
Total Downloadable Resources: 8
Module 05 Video Lessons
- M05L01: UX vs. UI Design (14:22)
- M05L02: UX Design Process (4:43)
- M05L03: UX Laws and Principles (22:31)
- M05L04: User Behavior Patterns and Habits (8:56)
- M05L05: Interface Usability Standards (29:27)
- M05L06: Navigation Usability Standards (15:51)
- M05L07: Forms Usability Standards (8:59)
- M05L08: E-commerce Usability Standards (15:46)
- M05L09: Modular Design (9:32)
- M05L10: Responsive Design (16:17)
- M05L11: Wireframing Basics (15:51)
- M05L12: Wireframe Creation Process (6:07)
- M05L13: Real World Wireframe Walkthrough (Adobe XD) (17:47)
- M05L14: Presenting Wireframes to Clients (18:01)
- M05L15: Wireframe Delivery Template (9:47)
- M05L16: Reverse Wireframing Practice (15:01)
- M05L17: Prototyping (28:01)
- M05L18: Hiring Designers (14:51)
Total Instruction Time: 4 hours 32 minutes
Module 05 Downloadable Resources
- M05L11: Wireframe Templates (PDF)
- M05L15: Wireframe Delivery Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M05L18: Designer Job Description Template (TXT)
- M05L18: Designer Job Description Pieces (TXT)
- M05L18: UX Design Job Description Example (TXT)
- M05L18: UI Design Job Description Example (TXT)
Total Downloadable Resources: 6
Module 06 Video Lessons
- M06L01: UI Design Process (6:40)
- M06L02: Principles of Design (33:28)
- M06L03: Elements of Design (35:53)
- M06L04: Mood Boarding and Barometers (9:56)
- M06L05: Mood Board Process (8:17)
- M06L06: Mood Board Delivery Template (11:04)
- M06L07: Design Systems (14:06)
- M06L08: Visual Design Comps (8:08)
- M06L09: Visual Design Comps Example (30:25)
- M06L10: Responsive Design Conversion (7:34)
- M06L11: Design System Examples (28:34)
- M06L12: Design System Delivery Template (12:18)
- M06L13: Reverse Design System Practice (7:29)
- M06L14: Interactions and Animations Design (10:52)
- M06L15: Developer Handoff (7:26)
Total Instruction Time: 3 hours 52 minutes
Module 06 Downloadable Resources
- M06L06: Mood Board Delivery Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M06L11: Design System Example (Fox Kids) (PDF)
- M06L11: Design System Example (Fox Family) (PDF)
- M06L12: Design System Delivery Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
Total Downloadable Resources: 4
Module 07 Video Lessons
- M07L01: Beta Build (10:26)
- M07L02: Asset Preparation (28:06)
- M07L03: Hiring Developers (15:50)
Total Instruction Time: 54 minutes
Module 07 Downloadable Resources
- M07L02: Asset Preparation System Font List (TXT)
- M07L03: Developer Job Description Template (TXT)
- M07L03: Developer Job Description Pieces (TXT)
- M07L03: Back-End Developer Job Description Example (TXT)
- M07L03: Front-End Developer Job Description Example (TXT)
Total Downloadable Resources: 5
Module 08 Video Lessons
- M08L01: Alpha Build (5:00)
- M08L02: Content Integration (2:56)
- M08L03: Analytics Installation (9:47)
- M08L04: SEO Setup Basics (11:07)
- M08L05: Quality Assurance Testing (12:47)
- M08L06: Launch and Live Testing (4:55)
- M08L07: 30-Day Bug Fix (5:37)
- M08L08: Project Completion (7:24)
Total Instruction Time: 1 hour
Module 08 Downloadable Resources
- M08L05: Quality Assurance Checklist (PDF)
- M08L08: Post Mortem Worksheet (PDF)
Total Downloadable Resources: 2
Module 09 Video Lessons
- M09L01: Ongoing Support Services (14:08)
- M09L02: Website Maintenance (29:42)
- M09L03: Website Maintenance Contract Template (10:25)
- M09L04: Conversion Optimization (6:44)
- M09L05: Tracking Website Analytics (32:51)
- M09L06: Understanding Website Analytics and Deriving Insights (12:56)
- M09L07: Setting Up and A/B Test in Google Optimize (14:04)
- M09L08: Conversion Optimization Contract Template (9:53)
- M09L09: Conversion Optimization Pricing and Reporting (15:21)
- M09L10: Search Engine Optimization (33:16)
- M09L11: Search Engine Optimization Tools (16:37)
- M09L12: Search Engine Optimization Contract Template (7:29)
- M09L13: Search Engine Optimization Pricing and Reporting (13:38)
- M09L14: Content Marketing (28:19)
- M09L15: Content Marketing Contract Template (7:55)
Total Instruction Time: 4 hours 13 minutes
Module 09 Downloadable Resources
- M09L03: Website Maintenance Contract Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M09L06: Analytics Review and Insights Worksheet (PDF)
- M09L08: Conversion Optimization Contract Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M09L09: Conversion Optimization Report (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M09L10: SEO Audit Example (Word Doc, Apple Pages and PDF)
- M09L10: SEO Technical Checklist Example (Word Doc, Apple Pages and PDF)
- M09L12: SEO Contract Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M09L15: Content Marketing Contract Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
Total Downloadable Resources: 8
Editor X is a powerful website builder that empowers designers to build high-end, custom websites without using code. In this module I take the web design project systems taught in this course and convert them for use in Editor X. The module contains project flow, task lists, proposal and contract templates specific for use with Editor X. It also includes a wireframe kit that contains 200 pre-built wireframes of the Editor X “Composition” templates. This wireframe kit is an incredible resource to help you wireframe, design, and build websites on Editor X efficiently and creatively.
Module 10 Video Lessons
- M10L01: Editor X General Overview
- M10L02: Editor X Walkthrough
- M10L03: Editor X Project Flow
- M10L04: Editor X Project Tasks and Milestones
- M10L05: Editor X Proposal Template
- M10L06: Editor X Contract Template
- M10L07: Editor X UX Wireframe Templates
- M10L08: Editor X Visual Design
- M10L09: Editor X Beta Development
- M10L10: Editor X Alpha Development
- M10L11: Editor X Quality Assurance Testing
- M10L12: Editor X Website Launch Process
- M10L13: Editor X Invoicing and Payments
Total Instruction Time: 3 hours 27 minutes
Module 10 Downloadable Resources
- M10L03: Editor X Project Flow (PDF)
- M10L04: Editor X Project Tasks and Milestones (PDF)
- M10L05: Editor X Proposal Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M10L06: Editor X Proposal Template (PDF and Adobe InDesign)
- M10L07: Editor X UX 200 Wireframes Kit (Adobe XD Format)
- M10L07: Editor X UX 200 Wireframes Kit (SVG Format)
- M10L07: Editor X UX 200 Wireframes Kit (PDF Format)
- M10L07: Editor X UX 200 Wireframes Kit (PNG Format)
Total Downloadable Resources: 8
Web Design Business Bootcamp is packed with valuable resources and robust instruction.
Results or Your Money Back
30-Day Money Back Guarantee
I am so confident that the content will deliver tangible results to your business that if you are not happy with the course, let me know within 30 days of enrollment and you will be issued a full refund. No hassle.
Learn how to run a web design business.
Web Design Business Bootcamp
Module 01: Website Project Organization
Module 02: Selling Web Design
Module 03: Project Setup
Module 04: Website Strategy and Information Architecture
Module 05: User Experience (UX) Design
Module 06: User Interface (UI) Design
Module 07: Beta Development
Module 08: Alpha Development and Launch
Module 09: Ongoing Website Support Services
Module 10: Building Websites without Code Using EditorX
26 Hours of Video Instruction
100 Comprehensive Lessons
65 Downloadable Resources
30-Day Money Back Guarantee
A lot changed from 1996 when I built my first website through 2015 when I sold my digital agency.
I’m Michael Janda, an award-winning creative director, designer, and agency veteran. In 2002, I founded the creative agency Riser, which provided design and development services for clients that included Disney, Google, Warner Bros., Fox, NBC, ABC, National Geographic and many other high-profile brands. I sold my agency in 2015.
Prior to building my agency I served as a creative director over two internet divisions of Fox Studios (Fox Kids and Fox Family). I also served as the founding creative director of the dot-com startup oKID.com in 1998. I’ve been building high traffic websites as long as anyone you’ll find. In this course I will show you my proven systems to craft quality sites, deliver exceptional client experiences, and increase the profits of your creative business. Learn more about my experience.
This course will teach you how to build a web design business with the proven tactics I developed over my 25+ year web design career creating websites for some of the greatest brands in the world.
Frequently Asked Questions
This course includes A TON of new content that is not included in The Ultimate Freelance Course. You will, however, see similarities in the sales process, strategies to find leads, proposal and contract templates, pricing methodologies, and a few other lessons. I go through these items in The Ultimate Freelance Course, but this courses goes much deeper into the process deliverable templates, design process etc. specific to website services. I would estimate that about 10-15% of this course will seem familiar to people who have completed my freelance course and 85-90% will be new content to help your web design business.
The value of this course to your business depends on the level of websites you are creating for your clients. If you are creating $100k+ websites that go smoothly and are highly profitable, you may already have good web design systems in your business. However, even agencies in that situation can probably tweak their process with a few nuggets from this course. Those few nuggets that you may not be doing will easily deliver ROI against the price of the course. This course teaches the exact processes I developed and used at my agency to execute on website projects ranging from $10k to $500k.
It is never too early to learn “the right way” to do things. In this course I will teach you the best practices for executing website projects for your clients. Much of the course is created with the assumption that the students knows very little about building a website design business. Yet, at the same time, I also teach advanced concepts that will be tremendously valuable to agency veterans. The turnkey nature of the course will be valuable to both newbies and seasoned creatives.
Will this course be a fit for my business if I use WordPress, Webflow, Drupal, Wix, Squarespace or other platforms to create websites?
The course is platform agnostic. At my agency we used a variety of platforms to build websites including WordPress, Drupal, Joomla and others. Today, I build my marketing sites using WordPress. You can use the course content to offer web design services using any platform (or even completely custom platforms).
There is a course module specific to EditorX where I teach you how to use the platform to build websites without using code. However, this platform is optional and presented as a bonus module, not required for the core curriculum of the course.
Since my UX course is no longer for sale, a few of the lessons from that course have been re-recorded and migrated to this course. This includes 7 lessons of the 18 lessons in the UX Design Module and 4 lessons of the 15 lessons in the UI Design Module. Each of those 11 lessons from my UX course have been re-recorded and enhanced with new content. It is a very small portion of this course and the majority of the content in Web Design Business Bootcamp is new.
Learning to design is a never-ending process. In this course I provide you with the systems you can use to offer design services to your clients. I have many lessons that teach you design strategies and best practices. We go through mood boarding, design systems, and even touch on color theory. I breakdown several website designs and I discuss what they are doing right. This course will give you a foundation for design, but you will need to practice to perfect your craft.
This is not a programming course. I do, however, teach you all the technologies you will need to learn if you choose to become a website developer. I also teach you how to build websites without knowing how to code by using EditorX. We go into depth about the technical side of creating websites, but it is not a programming course. It is a business course to empower you to offer web design services to your clients.
In the unlikely scenario that the course is not a good fit for you business, you can request a refund within 30 days of enrollment. Send an email directly to me: firstname.lastname@example.org
You have lifetime access to the content. The content can be accessed through any web browser or using the Teachable app on your mobile device or smartphone.
The proposal and contract templates are provide in both Adobe InDesign and PDF formats. They are “simplistically” designed for content delivery only with the assumption that course students will want to create their own templates matching their brand style in the software of their choice. Many students have easily converted the content to Powerpoint, Keynote, or “document” formats based on their software preferences.
Most of the other templates and worksheets included in the course are provided in XLS spreadsheet and PDF formats. These can be opened using built in software on your computer or Google Docs (free to use).
There is not a payment plan for the courses. To be honest, I’ve really struggled with where to price the course. Many courses that offer far less than this course cost significantly more ($$$$ thousands). I have decided to price this course at a more affordable price point to get it to as many people as I can without devaluing the content too much. However, I know that it is still too costly for many people who would like to enroll. I give away a ton of value for free on my Instagram, YouTube channels and weekly newsletter. I also have published books that will help you grow your creative business. If this course is too expensive for you right now, I recommend that you consume my free and cheaper content to help improve your earning power. My course will be here when you’re ready.
There are no special discounts for students. “Everyone” in the course is a student. This is a robust course with tons of downloadable resources and it costs significantly less than formal education choices.
The course is hosted on the Teachable platform. Teachable has a mobile app that can be downloaded on a tablet or smartphone. Through the mobile app, you can log into the courses and download videos to the device for watching without an internet connection. Check your App Store for the “Teachable” app.
Send me an email and I’ll get you back into the system. Email: email@example.com
The course is hosted and sold through the Teachable platform. At the time of enrollment, you will receive an email receipt of purchase. This should be sufficient for your tax purposes. However, some students have requested a customized invoice specific to their country’s tax requirements. If you need a customized invoice, email me directly firstname.lastname@example.org
The course is hosted and sold through the Teachable platform. Teachable works hard to stay up to date with tax requirements for each country. While I don’t have the ability to remove the collection of VAT tax through the checkout process, there is a way to add your VAT number. Please see Teachable’s documentation for more on VAT tax collection…
The payment gateway for the checkout page uses Stripe for the transaction. However, if you need to use PayPal to enroll, send me an email and I can send you a PayPal request for the enrollment fee and then manually enroll you in the courses. Email: email@example.com